Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Baby Stroller vs. the Rollercoaster

I made a promise to my husband when we were considering starting a family. "Honey, we will do most of the things we do now, just with more planning" Well, my words came back to haunt me this weekend. Baby Girl, Lil Sis, Nephew Bug, Shell, Glenai and I accompanied my husband to a Special D gig at Kentucky Kingdom - Six Flags. We had done our research beforehand and the website promised fun for all with accommodations for nursing mothers and an easy way to "swap" kids while riding rides.

We decided to try this theory out soon after arriving at the park. Just imagine the collective gasp as our group got in line with Baby Girl and Nephew Bug in their strollers. Bug eyed teens whispering "Are they going to ride the coaster with the baby" "What are they going to do with the strollers while they ride?"

I just wanted to answer, "Didn't you see the little harness for the 3 mo olds?" After negotiating the hairpin turns of the line with strollers, a baby food jar catastrophe, and ascending a flight of stairs with two strollers, we made it to the coaster and road away. Then we learned of the "Flash Pass" and decided to pay the park their extra money and save ourselves the effort.

At the end of the day, my words were true. We still enjoyed roller coasters and listened to a great concert. We just included enough stuff for a small pack mule and took turns riding rides. My days of strolling through an amusement park with my driver's license, cash, a car key and lipstick in my pocket are long over . . . But the compromise is worth the effort.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I still stand by the fact it was much easier than we anticipated. It could have been much, much worse. My personal favorite is finding Chris and Joel at the top of the stairs after having to get pity help to get the kids up. Sigh. Good times.